Friday, December 08, 2006

A small world+ BIG MISTAKE>

I feel so relaxed after my exam is over... No more stress at all....

Today had been a silly but happy day. I made 2 major mistakes at work today... A mistake which is unforgetable on my standard. First of all.... I did the stupid mistake of seeing the numbers wrongly and ended up diluting my samples instead of the required concentration of the samples before allowing them to run overnight in the LC/MS/MS. My standards showed a peak area of power 5 while my samples showed the power of 2. This implies that the samples were too diluted and I need to concentrate it by at least a 1000 concentration factor.
The next big big mistake was...... I used the wrong standard for the analysis of the samples. This happened because I've wrote the wrong information into my note book which contains all the information on the weight of the samples and the dilution factor. The samples which I was analyzing contained tetrahydropalmatine but I run it for berberine.... Arrg... I really hate myself for making such a mistake which is highly unacceptable.... I could almost kicked myself for making such a mistake... Anyway, I've learnt from my own mistake and the important lesson of double or triple checking what I've wrote when copying from one source to another...

Recently, there are a few more new students on attachments at my company and to my big surprise, one of them happened to be my friend who majors in food science technology. I was surprised because I thought that we (applied chemistry) wouldn't get to see them around in school due to our different timing for our attachment. All along, we have been seeing each other in lectures or tutorial because there's so many modules which we have in common. It feels nice to see a familar face again after being alone in the company for a while.

In addition, I saw my previous QC manager from Pfizer( my previous attachment) in the lab... I was busy doing my stuff when I heard a familar voice and saw a familar face. Then, I realised that it was him and went over to see hello. To my surprise, he actually still remembers who I am despite the fact that he saw me for about less than 2 months before he resigned to set up a new company. Also, I learnt that one of my colleagues worked at Pfizer before and she knew quite a few people whom I got to know when I was there too... It's a small world especially in singapore.