Friday, June 08, 2007

A day in the mailroom...>

After being in the mailroom for some days this week, I find that the work is simpler but more hectic. Everything must be in perfect timing so that the work will be in order and time will not be wasted. Now, my job duties include sorting of mails, distribution and accounting for the statistics of the different types of mail that the department received.

The people in the mailroom are generally quite warm and friendly but I really can't stand the 2nd-in-charge officer of the mailroom. He's Mr Yeo and he's like throwing his weight around, bossing people to do their work and stuff like that. He's so unreasonable and demanding that I really wanted to give him 2 tight slaps on his face. I've never seen such an inflexible and rigid person... Rigid to the bone that he can't accept your suggestion at all. It's like he doesn't accept anything except the ideas that he has. I mean... the overall big boss of the mailbox has approved one of my collegues' leave for 2 days next week but he threaten her that he will not approve the leave if she has failed to teach me everything in her job scope. It's so frustrating to know and see such a selfish and unresonable person exist. It's like the leave has been approved and my collegue has made plans for those days. Besides, it's not practical to waste the time training me in all aspects of her work because I'm only a temp staff who will be there for a few weeks before I'm away. Also, there's a possibility that the manager of the whole department might transfer me back to processing because the processors are not able to cope with the volume of application forms which are coming in. I predict that I might be asked to go back after my colleague is back from her leave. I've this feeling because my eyes see the high volume and my colleagues who are processing the forms are having close to 200 outstanding forms to clear with additional new forms coming in from roadshows and mail-in.

Anyway, what he did today really makes my blood boil because he insist that I start work at 9am from next week onwards and end work at 6.30pm. I don't like that timing because I'm the early type of person, perfer to start and end work early because I like to get my work done as early as possible. My mentor spoke up for me that I wanted the original working time but he kept insisting that I should stick with the same timing as my mentor in order to know what she does in the time period of 6 to 6.30pm when I'm away from the place. When my mentor mentioned that on wednesdays, I'm not able to stay that late and need to leave by 6pm, he came up with all types of 'explainations' that by right, i'm not allow to do that and should follow the timing, saying that within a certain working time, I should complete my work for that day if not i'm not allow to leave at all. Also, he know that I'm giving private tuition and insist that I change the timing. At that point, I really wanted to slap him hard.. I mean, "HELLO!! This is an agreement between the parent and I that I will be there at 7pm to give tuition and that is the lastest time because afterall, when the lesson ends, it will be late and my student have not had her dinner yet. I really wanted to ask him: "Mr Yeo, if your children's tutor agreed to have lesson at 7pm but then changed to 7.30pm and that time, your child has not eaten their dinner. Are you going to let them have their dinner at 9 or 9.30pm when the lesson ends? Or do you prefer your child to have dinner as early as possible?" What's more... what irritates me most is that it's basic coustosy that you look at someone's face or eyes when you talk to them. But then, that irritating Mr Yeo do not look at you instead he's looking sideways. It's so rude that I wanted to make the comment like " Hey, are you cock-eyed? Why can't you look at me straight in the eyes? It's so rude." or " You do so much QC that you spoil your eyesight prematurely and permanently that you can't see properly? In that case, why are you still working when you should be seeking medical advice? You should rest if not the cases will keep coming back as repossessed cased, eating up more time and resource"

All I can say is that I've lost my respect for him already... Once I've lost my respect for certain people, I'll ease to take any advice or listen to what they have to say to me. It's like I no longer treat them as someone whom I know instead I treat them as 'invisible' beings. I've reached a point where I can't tolerate him any longer. I hope that he doesn't bug me when I'm taking over my mentor's work on wednesday and thursday. I hate it when people keep coming over and peek at the work that you are doing. If you happen to be taking a break from the work, they will be pushing more work for you to do. I hate it when he's always looking at my side to see what I'm doing and pushing the people in the mailroom to work faster. Who do he think he is? If he were to do processing with his principle that work given to him must be completed within that particular working day, may the Lord bless him because I'm sure that he will be doing OT everyday and on weekend that there's no balance at all.

I can't believe that I can get so emotional that I could write so much. Anyway, I received a piece of good news from my student when I went for tuition. She manage to get a 'A1' for her chemistry in the mid-year exam despite being the bottom few in class. I'm truly amazed and excited because it somehow prove that I'm able to guide and coach her well that she's able to understand the concepts. In addition, it prove to her parent that I'm able to deliver result. Maybe in the near future, I might be able to treach her brother in science if there is a need to... I'll just leave this to God's hand to plan because he knows what's best for me...