Sunday, September 23, 2007

Short-cuts in life...>

On saturday.. The sermone topic was on:" The Broad road vs The Narrow road"

It seems like deja vu to me because the whole sermone was on the topic of the types of short-cuts in life. There's 3 main statements which could literally summed up the whole service.

1) The broad road will initially take you in the right direction, but will never lead you all the way to the goal.

2) The broad road can give you what you want here and now, but take away what God has for you in future.

3) The broad road starts out big and ends up small. The narrow road starts out small and ends up big.

It's deja vu in the sense that I've gone through the content of the service before through my daily bread. All along, I've been reading my daily devotional: Our journey from RBC ministries. It was from one of these topics which I learnt about the short-cuts or otherwise called the broad road.

Many a time... I guess and predict that people are tempted to take any short-cuts available if possible. But they never expect that it might not take them to the destination that they want or may end up differently from what they expected.

One very good example happened to me on the morning of the service...
After my usual tuition, I wanted to get home as soon as possible for I was hungry and tired then. Instead of waiting for the usual bus 18 to take me to Bedok interchange, I wanted a short-cut that could bring me home fast. So, I took the next bus which came along that took me to tampines interchange. From there, I took bus 27, thinking that I could tranfer to another bus at the bus stop near Safra club. But I was wrong. The bus did not stop there, instead, it went all the way to changi airport vis the ECP. I was like.. " Oh no!!!! What have I done?? Instead of saving time, I ended up spending more time getting home"

That really taught me a lesson... A lesson on not taking short-cut when there is a direct route present. This really could apply to my spiritual walk with my Lord and Savior....
In life... it is filled with many choices and options. Choices which could mean walking on the broad or narrow road. It's easy to walk on the broad road but difficult to walk on the narrow road.

Today, I was put to the test.... A test whether I could stand firm on my beliefs and walk on the narrow road. Today, I went with my mum to the temple to help her carry all the stuff. She was praying to my grandmother due to the festive season of mid-autum festival. I helped her to set up the stuff on the table but when she asked me why I wasn't praying to my grandmother. I chose to keep quiet because in my heart, I've made the stand that I will not worship and pray any other idols or anything except my Heavenly Father Jesus Christ.

This may be a simple step forward but it meant a lot to me... A small step to step away from the idol worship which occurs in my home. I just pray that my mum is able to accept my decision to accept Christ. Being the first generation of Christian is tough but that is not going to deter me.. Perhaps this is something which the Lord has planned for me to strengthen and draw me closer to Him.