Monday, February 25, 2008

ZM's Birthday>

Today is ZM's birthday and somehow, I feel that I've made a blunder of myself and the whole mini celebration.

My original plan was to surprise him with a birthday cake but then, the element of surprise was missing because he had expected it in a certain way when people asked him of his whereabouts. Somehow, I feel a little disappointed because I wanted that element of surprise in the whole celebration, making him feel special that we actually do remember his birthday. Plus, the whole boo boo which I've made was that I've accidently placed the cake in the freezer compartment instead of the refrigerator compartment. In the end, the cake turns out to be a little hard that ZM has to 'force' his way to cut the cake. If only I had placed in the microwave for a few minutes, I guess the effect would be different. Instead of having moist and warm cake, we got slightly cold and hard cake. I've personally baked the cake for him, wanting to surprise him with the cake with a home-baked cake instead of the usual confectionary cake.

Plus, he was so shacked from his weekend filled with activities that it somehow bores me to see an uninterested or 'can't be bothered' look on his face. Though he thanked all of us, I just don't feel the sincerity in his tone. Imagine... Going through all the trouble and hassles of baking a cake and planning the celebration was no mean feat but seeing that uninterested look totally placed a large amount of disappointment in my heart. It's like I began to question myself whether it's worth doing this at all..

Anyway, I guess I've learnt to become more of a giver than a taker now. For instance, this birthday celebration, I wanted to give a surprise to ZM. As what Pastor How said, we are to love the people around us surprisely and unexpectantly, so I wanted to surprise him with a home-baked cake. But then, as what I've mentioned earlier on, when you want to give, the joy of giving comes from the satisfaction that you get that you know that you have make someone happy. I mean.. I do get the satisfaction and the joy of giving but it comes with a tinge of disappointment because I didn't expect the type of expression that I receieved from him. Perhaps I've been a little unreasonable in the way that I didn't take in his position, having no rest since the weekend and having to drag his feet to school because he had promised me when he could have went home to rest. Instead of feeling disappointed, I should feel happy or delighted because he did turned up in school. Imagine what would happen if he did not turn up in school at all....

Thinking through my emotions and feelings, I think I have more joy than disappointment now because I've indeed made his day. Bring joy to his special day.. How I wish that people would do that for me.... I believe that this day is the work of God because it's made possible by His works and not my work. I give the credits to Him...