![]() |
![]() |
So many things have happened ever since I've returned from my trip to Korea... So many that it's mind-blowing.
Firstly, I want to complain about how terrible the banking service of a particular bank was. The bank did not seek my consent to close one of my bank account and transferring it to a new bank account. With the closing of the bank account, I can't use the debit card at all. Instead, they issued a new card to me which I think it's really a bad choice because the design of the card is totally ugly to the core that I find it difficult to accept it. I'm still coming to terms to the new design of the card even though it has more features such as EZ-link benefits. Why didn't the bank seek our consent before transferring the balance to the new bank account and closing the old one?
Secondly, I'm having problem with my tuition assignments and the students. I don't know what came over the students because it seems like all of them are failing their amaths subject. I'm teaching them amaths and chemistry, it seems like they have no problem with chemistry because none of them fail the subject. But it's a total different story for amaths. I've high expectation of the twins whom I'm teaching because they are smart and I was totally surprised or shocked when I was told that the elder twin failed his amaths while the younger twin barely passed his amaths. I thought that they would be able to pass their exam easily but I was proven wrong because complacency has set into their hearts where they have the mindset that with tuition, they don't have to study. In the end, during the examination period, they played with their PSP instead of studying for the exam. I'm thankful that the parents were understanding towards me because they know that I've done my best to help them and complacency was the main burdle of problem which caused them to fail. Complacency... That is the worse thing that could ever occured in a student, it's similar to being arrogant or having too much pride within them that caused them not to work towards their goals. I'm glad in a certain way that they have committed this mistake in the mid-year exam and not the prelims or the O-levels where the consequences will be much more worse than this. This will serve as a wake-up call for them that they can't be complacent with their studies and constant work is needed to maintain their result.
Anyway, I want to help them through the period till the point when they take their O-level exam because I feel that it's my responsibility to do so as a tutor. I can't just leave them alone when they are facing the most important exam in their entire life which would determine their future course of study. However, it has been settled and decided that I will be going to US for training in the month of July and August for 2 months before starting on my official work at Biopolis. Being away from Singapore somehow makes me feel a little sad and scared at the same time, this will be my first time being away from home for such a long period of time and I'm scared to be on my own in a foreign land. Also, the responsibility of my tutor.... How am I going to handle it? I need to find a replacement while I'm away because I just can't bear to leave the students on their own, especially during those months when they might be facing their prelims and preparing for the Olevels. Also, being away during those months mean that I might not be able to attend my commercement ceremony in school where it might be the last chance to see all of my friends before we depart on our separate ways to pursue our career and life. In addition, I might not be around to play host to my korean friend who will be arriving in Singapore in late june, helping to orientate him during the first few weeks of arrival, giving him a good impression of Singapore as he settles for his studies.
There's so many things to settle.... Being away from home for the very first time bring gitters to my spine. Am I able to adapt and cope on my own? Will I be able to take care of myself in a foreign land? Will I be able to solve the problem without the advice of my family and friends? Will I suffer from homesickness and slip into mild depression? There's so many doubts and fear coming from the thought of being away from home, the familar comfort zone. But then, there's also the excitement of being able to explore a new foreign land and the independence that I will gained from being away from home. So many things to decide and determine before I embark on my adventure to a foreign land, to gain new knowledge and to increase my general knowledge.