Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm growing....>

Over the past 2 days since monday, I feel that I've grown much spiritually and in faith... I've been reading God's words and many other Christian books which I've borrowed from the library. While reading those materials, I've stumpled upon difficulties in understanding certain verses in the bible but praise God for His Holy Spirit because when I read the Christian books, all difficulties in understanding His words were solved.

All along, I've difficulties understanding these particular verses. No matter how many times I read though them and prayed for the Holy Spirit to guide and teach me, I still don't understand it at all. The more I tried to understand it, the more confused I get that I get discouraged. Thank God for the perservance and endurance that He has moulded into my character-building through the many trials that He has set up for me which made me endured much. With that, the discouragement doesn't stayed with me for long and soon, I was ready to try again.

Luke 17: 7-10
7 "And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and sit down to eat’? 8 But will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink’? 9 Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not.[a] 10 So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.’”

As I read these verses, thoughts went through my mind.. I was thinking:" Which of the servant's attittude does Jesus wants from us?" At first, I thought that based on the love and compassion of Jesus, I thought that He wanted it to be the former case where the servant was asked to eat the moment he has come in from the field. But as I read further, I've the thought that that was not the case. Jesus wanted the later case where the servant should continued to serve his master after a day's work in the field.
That really confused me then because I thought that with the compassion and love coming from Jesus, He wont not allow servants to be treated in that manner as in the case of the latter one. As I read the books, the Holy Spirit spoke to me, guiding and teaching me about His words. It dawned upon me that Jesus wanted us as Chrisitians to adopt the latter servant's attitude. With the wisdom, I began to see in a new light and perspective.
The servant mentioned in the scripture refers to Christians and the ploughing of the field refers to our basic duties as Christians which include attending church services or giving our tithes. Therefore, what it meant was that we, being God's servants for He has paid the price of sin for redeemption are supposed to do and carry out our basic duties. In fact, we should strive to do more for His kingdom because that is our duties as His servants, paying all that we have to Him for He has paid the utimate price in redemption of our sin, freeing us from the bondage of sin.

Wow.... It's amazing how God has spoken to me through these verses because it shone light onto areas in my heart. Areas which I should deeply reflect and consider about it. All along, I've been doing my basic duties as a Christian and it just woke me up about the need to serve Him where I could further develop my character as a servant, having the servant heart; to be humble and selfless to others. I realized that I need to consider the option of serving in ministry because it means that I'm serving God. I need to go beyond my basic call of duties as a Chrisitan..

I pray that God will direct me to the right ministry to serve in, the one which would allow me to develop the servant heart within me.