Sunday, July 06, 2008

Easy target for insurance>

I just realized something recently.....

I'm too gullible already and too receptive towards certain things that people have taken advantage of me (to a certain extent).

For instance, for the taking up of insurance policies, my family know about the whole process because I did keep them updated with the process of it; telling them what are some of the plans which I was interested in and I did asked for their opinions about it. But, they did not give me much advice at all when I asked them whether it was all right to go ahead with the signing of the policies contracts.

In the end, when I came back with the decision to cancel the policies taken up with Prudential, my mum and brother came barking down at my neck about it. All the accusations came flowing down upon me, saying words such as: "You are so stupid!! They (insurance agent) are trying to push the products to you so that they can earn their commission from you. In fact, you don't even need to get the medical plan policies because there is company medical benefits for you when you work. Also, you have not even started work and there is no steady income yet. Why commit yourself to the policies and land yourself in debts?"

I felt hurt... My heart was totally crushed then because I felt in a certain way that I was betrayed by them. In the first place, I did asked them for their opinions about it before making the decision to commit to the policies. But in the end, what did I get from them? Nothing but scoldings... They should have given me their opinions and advice when I asked from them and not when I decided to cancel the policies and in the process of signing new ones. As a result, all of the insurance buying plan has been put on hold till I'm back from my overseas training and when my income is stable.

I feel that I'm an easy target for such pressure-inducing selling tactics deployed by some insurance agents. And that include the recent one whom I just met up with not too long ago. To think about it, his constant probing of "Why is it so?" or "Why do you think in that way" drive me to 'buy' his product. I wasn't at peace with myself then.

Perhaps I could really hear what Pastor How was preaching about for today's service. I was driven by the insecurity and fear. In addition, the need to prove myself to the agent that I did made an informed decision. I'm so glad for today's service because it really taught me to be wiser, to be more spiritual and not be driven by the flesh. Perhaps this service has equipped me with the tools needed to protect myself from this deceptive world.

I just realized that with constant probing in a certain direction, it would ignite the insecurity and fear within me that drive me to have the need to prove to others that I'm not at all. For instance, the AIA agent has put her words in such a manner that there was fear and insecurity in the future that I see myself in. The fear that I might not be able to pay for my medical expenses if there was a need. Throughout her presentation, there was this constant battle within me. As she was making her point then, I was thinking that with my age and carefulness to carry out my stuff, it's very unlikely that I will ever have accidents happening to me. Also, I had faith that God's hand will be upon me, constantly protecting and keeping me away from harm. But, I felt that my faith was slowly being eroded away and fear seems to overtake it. In the end, fear totally took its stand.

From then, I've fully understand what Pastor How said about fear is the exact opposite of faith. Fear is the one which will keep us away from God and lose our focus on Him. How true is that statement for the fear is not the fear of God but it's the fear of the insecurities.

I don't blame my family for the insurance thing... In fact, I thank them for it and I thank God for the whole incident for it opened my eyes to see the things of the unknown. I thank God for teaching me such a valuable lesson on fear and faith and insecurity in my heart. From this lesson, I will rise up to a whole new level in faith. To replace all my insecurity with the confidence that I have in God and to have total trust in Him, knowing that He is my Father in heaven who knows what's best for me.

I loved my God for the way in which He can used unexpected circumstances to teach me lessons and to draw close to Him. I thank Him for being such a patient and loving Father to me.